Guys, the consulting gods have summoned out of the blue with crazy stupid money and I am leaving for Galveston, TX on Saturday and will be there for the next 30-60 days. It all depends on what kind of miracles I'll need to deliver.
Since the primary task at hand will be making chicken salad out of chicken shit (gotta love sales people) I really won't know how this will affect my availability until I'm there on the ground.
In the interim, same email and cell and I'll be checking in.
On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 10:43 PM, John Wikswo <john.wikswo@vanderbilt.edu> wrote:
Terry -- Coming in from the west would have a lower velocity mismatch than coming from the east due to the earth's rotation, if I understand correctly. IS THAT RIGHT? Sunset would be ideal. Just before the sky goes dark, so the flash would be less obvious. Speaking of flashes, time it with actual sunset on the Chilean coast and people can report it as a Green Flash. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_flash I've always wanted to see one. Have you? They have them in Chile! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLfEGydNWas
Mike - I don't immediately see the connection between ETMR entry and the GPS disruption. Can there be a disruption west of Chile? Having the two events coincide would be very nice. What does a solar flare do to GPS? Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859
And just when people were thinking that the sun was abnormally quiet this year
http://www.nbcnews.com/science/huge-solar-flare-delays-private-rocket-launch-space-station-2D11879267
Check out
http://www.weather.com/news/science/space/sun-unleashes-first-major-solar-flare-2014-20140108
We have a tentative landing time - Pacific Sunset January 9 or 10, 2014 !!!! Coincidence - two or three unrealated events will confuse people. One can wonder whether it was coincidental or by design....
This is fun.
Back to work....
J
On 1/7/2014 6:09 PM, Wineinger, Terry wrote:Just a couple of items: what about a setting sun (late day) timeframe for entry of the ETMR from the west? Seems like early evening / sunset could provide light conditions that would help mask a western approach.
Also, re GPS in general; all commercial marine vessels (including deepwater rigs) utilize DGPS systems as an inherent component of their DP (dynamic positioning) navigation systems. A disruption of GPS service would also be noted on any large marine vessels operating in the immediate area.
Terry
On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 9:42 AM, John Wikswo <john.wikswo@vanderbilt.edu> wrote:
Mike -
I think this is an excellent idea! I was planning to have it land in the Pacific so that it can mine into the Andes from the west, where the ocean is not highly populated, but I need your advice as to when and how the ETMR enters the atmosphere. Can it be from the east or the west? Daylight would be better. Do you need the South Atlantic Anomoly?
We have to design the reentry path - since there are no living things onboard, it can handle a much steeper decelleration.
On 1/5/2014 6:05 PM, Michael Welham wrote:Do you want me to continue down the path of preparing a set of reports on the GPS disruption that is the precursor of the other events? While the US doesn't officially permit international access to the P code of GPS (precision) due to ITAR restrictions, there are many, many users with approved GPS devices including most international airliners. An anomaly with SPOT or Globalstar could also be included in the GPS disruption section of the report, although I'll need time to work out the math and design the reports (e.g., e-mails, Globalstar anomaly reports, airline anomaly reports to FAA, etc.). Just wanted to ask before I spent more time on this.
Mike
--http://www.vanderbilt.edu/viibre/Wikswo.html
John P. Wikswo
Gordon A. Cain University Professor
A.B. Learned Professor of Living State Physics
Director, Vanderbilt Institute for Integrative Biosystems Research and Education
Professor of Biomedical Engineering, Molecular Physiology & Biophysics, and Physics & Astronomy
Vanderbilt University
VU Station B 351807 (U.S. Postal Service)
Nashville, TN 37235-1807 USA
6301 Stevenson Center (UPS and Fedex)
Nashville, TN 37232 USA
Phone: (615) 343-4124 Fax: (615) 322-4977 ...
Email: john.wikswo@vanderbilt.edu
--
Al
615-210-5429
615-210-5429
No comments:
Post a Comment